March 31st, 2009 by Karen 41 Comments
Girls, because we all have our sad/bad/mad hair moments when we *desperately* wish our hair were more this or less that (insert personal hair hell here), I wanted us to have a huge list of hairstyle resources that we could turn to for ideas and inspiration.
So here are 101 hairstyle tips and tutorials, each one easy to follow and well selected to help your hair go from 0-60 in the time it takes you to get ready for work. 🙂
Without further ado, hair — sorry, bad pun — we go!
- How to Style Your Hair Like Gwen Stefani: Let’s start with some fun celebs. I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t want to look like Gwen for day, being that she’s one of the hottest and most successful powerhouses in Hollywood! Here’s how to emulate her signature ponytail, by Ford artist Johnny Lavoy.
- How to Style Your Hair Like Amy Winehouse: And on that note, all you even more daring ladies can take it to the next level and inspire your own inner Amys (the hair, not the lifestyle) with the beehive!
- How to Create Soft, Loose Waves: This is an easy, 20-minute step-by-step process showing how to get soft, loose waves a la Jessica Simpson. This casual style works well for a fun outdoor afternoon or a wild night on the town — and it’s so easy you won’t even keep your date waiting. 🙂
- How to Blow Dry Your Hair Like a Stylist: Every girl knows that it’s almost impossible to recreate the effortless, sexy blow-out you get at a good salon — almost. These insider tips will help you produce those same professional results in the comfort of your own home (sans awesome scalp massage).
- 6 Fun Ways to Wear Headbands: Take some cues from the stars on incorporating headbands into your everyday hairstyle. They don’t just add flavor to your ‘do but also keep it worry-free. WARNING: headbands may be addictive!
- How to Create a Pin-Up Do: This is a simple hairstyle tutorial for a rockabilly or pin-up look. Get a sexy ’50s style like Dita Von Teese. Don’t forget the red lipstick!
- A Classic Bridal Updo Hairstyle: For all you brides-to-be out there, this is a clear guide to creating a classic bridal updo for your special day. One less thing to stress about — the favors, the band, the bridesmaids… Yikes!
- A Simple, Messy Bun: This is a little more casual, but still very do-able for a quick and sexy updo to attract attention to your face and neck. It’s a perfect way to work your bedhead, tres chic!
- How to Find Your Perfect Hairstyle: Now this is super helpful in that I know we have all puzzled from time to time over whether we can pull off a specific style.
- How to Grow Out Your Bangs: Yep, it happens to the best of us — that awkward stage of trying to grow out bangs from an old haircut. What’s a girl to do? These tips pack some helpful ideas to make the most of things while you wait.
- Hair Parting Techniques: Now, this is a serious tutorial with great details on how to part your hair properly, and they even use an actual mannequin to demonstrate the examples. These are easy ways to dramatically change your look.
- How to Straighten Your Bangs: This is a fun photogallery of 10 different options and styles of straight bangs. It has everything from a sleek, blunt cut to a flirty side-sweep, while answering all your questions about how much maintenance each style takes to keep. So many choices!
- Proper Use of a Flat Iron: For all you ladies out there looking to wield a flat iron like a light saber, this tutorial’s for you. Plus, there’s a secret tip for curly-haired girls. This one’s worth the effort because it will add INCHES to your length!
- How to Create Christina Aguilera’s Hairstyle: Do you wanna get dirrrty? Or do you just want your hair to look like Christina’s? Either way, use these tips from the video to get a hairstyle that’s Hollywood glam chic.
- Sexy Novella Hairstyle: This new and fun style is a great way to experiment. See if the look could be right for you. I, for one, have always wanted to try teasing the crown of my hair. NOTE: if anything, it’s just fun to watch this man backcomb this girl’s hair with a rat tail comb, LOL!
- Celebrity How to’s for Spring 2009: This cutting edge hair tutorial breaks it down for you celeb by celeb, showing you the best how to’s for each spring hairstyle. The selection ranges from Posh’s pixie to Beyonce’s thick waves. Enjoy!
- How to Put in Hair Extensions: This is more than a hairstyle. These are hair extension. If you’d like to save upwards of hundreds of dollars $$$ getting hair extensions at your local salon, follow this easy tutorial to save big bucks adding major drama to your ‘do.
- How to Get Young Hollywood Hair: Another cool video by Ford artist Johnny Lavoy that shows how to get young Hollywood hair (see: Gossip Girls).
- How to Straighten Curly Hair: This is an awesome tutorial with great directions on how to completely make over your curls without frizz or mess.
- How to Bleach Hair: Ladies, here are some guidelines for how to professionally lighten your hair at home. Vital for all the recessionistas who may be cutting back on visits to the salon!
- How to Crimp Hair: Where, oh, where have the ’80s gone? I, for one, truly miss them, along with Journey and Blondie, so please use this fun look to celebrate the decade we all secretly miss.
- How to Care for a Wig: This is for those days when we all want to go hair crazy without the commitment of an actual style. Learn how to care for your wig right here.
- Ken Paves’ Hair How To’s: If it’s good enough for Oprah and Jessica Simpson, then it’s good enough for me. Ken Paves, who’s Jessica Simpson’s famous stylist, has his tips on all things hair on Oprah’s website. Lots of unique ideas!
- Regency Hairstyle Tutorial: This look takes a step way outside the box with a style straight out of Jane Austen’s world. If you’re a Pride and Prejudice fan, check out how to get a beautifully braided updo.
- A Retro Modern Hairstyle Tutorial: This blog has great, clear pictures of how to produce a retro modern updo, a la the 1940s. Add a flower to the ‘do for a beautiful touch!
- Cute Sidebun Hairstyle: I love this style that I see celebrities rock on the red carpet all the time, but I had no idea how to create it until now! A cute sidebun with a purpose.
- Tutorial for Kinky Hair: This is a helpful tutorial with tips and techniques (like the sleek bun) to tame kinky hair. Gotta love that!
- Putting Your Hair in a Bun with a Pencil: Every gal needs to know how to use the tools around her to deal with her hair on the go. A simple bun held together with a pencil says studious, stylish, sexy…
- How to Get Instantly Sexy Hair: These are great ideas for adding subtle sex appeal to your hair and to show the world that you mean business. Little effort, big reward.
- Curly Hair Updo Tutorial: This is for all the curly headed girls out there who know how difficult it can be to tame an unruly mane into an updo. Help has arrived!
- How to Get Luscious Hair: These are some how-to’s on getting fun and flirty hair for summer.
- Ponytail with a Retro Pouf: Here’s a great enhancement to your ponytail with the retro pouf along the crown. It’s a great way to breathe new life into a standby style.
- 3 Ponytail Wedding Updo Hairstyles: This is a unique way to make your bid day fun and different with an intricate hair design. It’s your day; stand out!
- How to Properly Release Rollers from Your Hair: This is a great wedding hairstyles tutorial to deal with getting your hair snarled in rollers. Definitely something you want to avoid on your wedding day!
- How to Cut Your Own Hair: Do ya dare? This is a cool tutorial for very daring ladies who want to take their skills to the next level and feel confident in their own abilities — or, maybe to try something new on a trusting friend, LOL!
- How to Find the Right Short Hair: A bunch of tips to locate the right short hairstyle for you, along with a fun style guide. I can tell you from personal experience — it feels great to try short hair at least once, instead of always wondering what might have been!
- Some General Hairstyle Tips: These are very general hairstyle tips to take you from point A to point B and give you some great food for thought. Check it out with an open mind, and maybe find your next style.
- How to Eliminate Split Ends: Split ends are the worst! No one like to be brushing through their hair and find a mass of damaged ends to deal with. Use this guide to learn how to easily eliminate split ends.
- Long Hair Styles: For you ladies with luscious locks, this will give you great ideas for caring for and styling your long hair. You have a world of opportunities atop your very own head!
- Hair Highlighting Tips: Do not go this route alone! Read these directions very carefully for sun-kissed highlights that will look so natural they’ll have your friends asking for the name of your stylist.
- How to Get a Perfect Haircut and Style: There are so many factors, like face shape, hair texture and your own personal style, that set you apart. Read this post to figure out what cut and style might work best.
- How to Find the Right Style For Medium Length Hair: This will give you a serious rundown on what you can expect with a medium length hairstyle, along with all the options available to you. Go nuts!
- Guide to the Ponytail: I wish the Spice Girls were still around… Well, you can still bring back Baby Spice by emulating the delightful, funky ponytails she used to wear, along with many other ideas.
- The Perfect Updo for the Shape of Your Face: This is totally key in looking for the right updo because the whole point of an updo is to showcase your beautiful face.
- How to Find Out What Your Haircolor Says about You: Have you always considered yourself a spicy redhead or an intellectual brunette? No, no, no, not so fast — peruse this breakdown to see what your color is really saying about you.
- How to: The Pouf: Seriously, Naima from America’s Next Top Model rocked the best faux hawk I have ever seen.
- How to Style Big Hair: It’s time to celebrate, ladies, because big hair is back! Don’t forget your round brushes, and God bless Texas!
- Hairstyles for Fine, Thin Hair: Add some special flair to normally limp locks with these unique tips. Make the most out of a potentially lifeless ‘do.
- How to Style a Sleek Bob: Kelly Ripa always looks put together, and now you can recreate that same edge in styling her sleek bob. Does it also come with the killer six pack she calls her abs?
- How to Get Sexy and Shiny Hair: Soft hair, vibrant color and perfect grooming are key. Use this guide to turn heads wherever you go!
- Do It Yourself Finger Drying: Great pictures and a step-by-step for how to use your fingers to gently tousle and finger dry your hair, saving it from heat damage and the hungry hair dryer!
- How to Do a Coiffure: This coiffure looks fun to try and awesomely rad when it is finished! I would do this just to buy bananas from Safeway. It’s that cool.
- How to Dress Long Hair: Soooper elegant, yet this look comes off as very simple to do. Isn’t that silky smooth hair gawgeous?
- How to Use the Babyliss Twisted Porcelain Barrel Tong:Use this unique double-barrel curling iron to create sexy, messy waves. The stylist will even show you the proper way to muss them up for a chic bedhead!
- How to Be Your Own Colorist: This will give you insider tips for selecting your own hair color the next time you have a conversation with your stylist, or, if you dare, even color your hair yourself!
- How to Guide for Stylish Hair Everyday: This Redken video helps you to create salon worthy styles at home. Take your everyday look to that special place with the guidance of an expert.
- How to Get Healthy, Shiny Hair: Another great Redken video with everything you need to bring health and life back into a lackluster ‘do. Just a few simple tweaks and you’ll be back in the saddle in no time!
- Tips for Twist Hairstyles: A whole host of twist hairstyles, including ponytails, french braids and updos. For times when you’re feeling creative.
- Creating Curls and Waves: Here’s a great lesson from the trusted experts at Marie Claire, showing you how to make soft curls and fun waves a part of your hairdo. Time to mix it up!
- African American Hairstyles and Hair Care: These are great tips for African American hair, including how to use a straightening comb, and a series of handy steps showing how to use wraps to create some very chic styles.
- Vintage Hairstyle Tutorials: Super cute way to learn pin curls from an adorable girl who looks to be right out of the ’50s herself!
- Modernized Betty Grable Do: For all you die-hard classic movie fans out there, this gives you a chance to recreate the old Hollywood glamor. Compliment your red lipstick and kitten heels, hooray!
- How to Do Punk Hair: For you wilder ladies out there, this great how-to guide holds your hand and walks you through the magical world of punk ‘dos that may, literally, rock your world. Yow!
- How to Do a Faux Hawk: I mentioned Naima’s version of the faux hawk. Now, it’s your turn! Channel your inner model, and try a femme-friendly version.
- How to Get Emo Hair: Emo hair is everywhere, and it can actually be very versatile and feminine in the hands of the right stylist. Try your own spin, and create your own new trend!
- How to Wear a Ponytail: Check out this fun step-by-step showing you the most flattering ways to wear a ponytail. Ponytails are no longer child’s play but can be an elegant alternative for a night on the town.
- How to Braid Hair: Braiding always reminded me of Little House on the Prairie — that is, until I saw some of the chic styles that have been walking around these days.
- How to Make a Perfect Ponytail: Don’t just wear a ponytail, MAKE it perfection hanging from your head. It doesn’t just have to be an afterthought coming home from the gym. A ponytail can be a sleek and beautiful creation.
- How to Braid Cornrows: After these seven steps you’ll be braiding hair along the scalp in no time. Look out, K-fed!
- How to Curl Your Hair With a Straightener: Make your hair tool of choice do double time by learning to curl your hair using your regular straightener. Hey, two for the price of one is never bad!
- How to French Braid Hair: French braiding is another beautiful braiding style you can use to spice up your everyday ‘do. Use these tips to braid your own hair or a friend’s!
- How to Fishtail Braid: I so rocked the fishtail braid circa 1998. Have you ever wondered how they do that? Wonder no longer because the secrets are here in this tutorial.
- How to Create Supermodel Hair: This is a great one to have in your bag of tricks. Infuriate your friends by always looking naturally put together and polished.
- How to Braid Hair for a Date: This shows some great ways to take the braid out for a night on the town. Braids have a cute, girlish quality, along with vampy sex appeal. Va-va-va-voom!
- How to Avoid a Bad Hairstyle: Do not let the dreaded bad hairstyle happen to you! And FYI, last I checked, mullets are still bad…
- How to Banish Hair Static: Underestimated, but tres importante! As rockin’ as your hair may be, static will take you down. Very helpful for dry, wintry climates.
- How to Get Rid of Chlorine Green Hair: Sadly, this doesn’t just happen to kiddies at the pool. Here’s a guide with what you can do to get rid of that green tint fast.
- How to Cover Up Roots: Madonna looked good with black roots, but we aren’t Madge. Here are some steps to help you touch up the grown out roots from your not-so-natural color.
- Vanessa Hudgens’ Messy Updo: A great look for a special night out, inspired by Hollywood cutie Vanessa Hudgens.
- How to Fake a Fringe: This is a super cool trick to fake an awesome fringe of bangs for when you don’t want to fully commit to bangs. For the indecisive girl on the go!
- Lauren Conrad’s Daytime Braided Hair: You know I can’t get enough of the “reality” that is The Hills, and I never get sick of LC’s cool braids. Must copy…
- Lauren Conrad Updo Part 2: Just like the rest of the world, I can’t get enough of Lauren, so here’s part 2 of her hair how-tos showing a great updo. And when you’re finished, you can hook up with Brody, LOL!
- How to Do Beachy Waves With a Flat Iron: Fun in the sun is not only about summer but also about SEX-Y hair. Find your inner summer beauty by learning to use a flat iron for beach-worthy waves. Surf’s up!
- 1940’s Hair Reverse Victory Rolls: Find the classic pin-up girl in you with this popular style from the ’40s. So glam and sexy!
- Cute Satin Headband Tutorial: Learn how to pull off this schoolgirl chic style that will have you giving off that innocent schoolgirl vibe. You don’t have to be in high school to enjoy this because it’s fun for all ages!
- Tools for Straightening Short Hair: Make sure you have all the necessary supplies to pull off sleek short hair with this video. Be your own stylist!
- Elegant Romantic Curls: Have fun with sexy and sweet. These delightful curls look romantic and are perfect for a lovely date or even a “meet the parents”– yikes!
- How to Get Victoria Beckham’s Bob: Like I said, I have an affinity for the Spice Girls, so Victoria’s bob has always been on my mind, especially since she made this style so popular that half the ladies out there have had it at one time or another!
- Wavy Beyonce Hair Tutorial: Beyonce’s luscious waves are as kickin’ as her curves, and since I can’t have the latter, then I will do my best to have hair as hot as hers! I wish.
- Copy Keira Knightly’s Bob: Here’s another popular celebrity bob, and it’s actually quite easy to do! It does not come with pouty lips, however.
- Super Curly Kim Kardashian Tutorial: I have always wondered how celebs get their hair so perfect, other than them having a personal stylist come to their home everyday, but this tutorial shows how to make Kim’s beautiful curls your own.
- How to Grow Your Hair Out: If you’re trapped in that awkward stage of growing out your hair, then these tips will help you shorten the dreaded “growing out” period when transitioning styles.
- How to Perm Your Hair: Perms no longer have to be synonymous with your best friend from the ’80s. There really are great ways to incorporate a perm into your hairstyle for some extra volume and oomph!
- How to Rid Yourself of a Bad Perm: And… on the flip side, if you have the aftermath of a perm gone wrong, then here’s how to make it all go away.
- How to Bring Out Natural Curls in Any Hair Type: You know it’s in there somewhere! Make your hair work for you with this step-by-step. Bring out the beautiful and natural curls in your own hair.
- How to Tease Hair: This guide will show you how to backcomb, tease and rat your hair like the best girls from the South!
- How to Scrunch Hair: The natural scrunching technique shown here will get you smooth waves and ripples in no time. Not to be confused with a scrunch-ee.
- How to Find the Perfect Updo for Your Special Day: This gives you some grrreat tips for a flattering and unique updo on your wedding day. It also has some fantastic warnings on what not to do. Save yourself the heartache.
- Easy Prom Hairstyles: On that note, this how-to guide gives a bunch of great varieties for prom hairstyles. Remember, it’s the night you want to stand out from the crowd! 🙂
- How to Create a Half Updo: Not sure you want to go all the way with an updo? Try this great compromise with your hair pulled half up.
- How to Condition Long Hair: Imperative in taking care of your long locks — learn how to nurture and condition your signature long hair and keep it turning heads.
101 hairstyle tutorials and hair care tips
That’s all, folks! Hope you enjoyed this journey through the world of hairstyle and found a few things that were helpful.
Be creative! Mix and match these tutorials, have fun and keep ’em guessing. 🙂
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
P.S. If you’re new here, thank you for visiting. Makeup and Beauty Blog is a makeup blog with daily product reviews, beauty tips, giveaways and the random shenanigans of a crazy cat lady/makeup enthusiast named Karen (that’s me!). 🙂
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.